L’s birth story

I’m going to try and update as frequently as possible, so this is accurate. It may be TMI at times, it’s a birth story! If you don’t want to hear the state of my cervix, stop reading now!

J and I took a 10 week Bradley method course in hopes of having a natural, med-free delivery. Our plan was quickly thrown out the window, as L just didn’t want to come out!

My OB will not let any of their patients go past 10 days overdue. At 38 weeks, we scheduled an induction. The first induction was scheduled for Dec 3, only 1 week after my due date. I was not happy about that. I talked to the doctor, and had a NST done, everything looked good, so we pushed the induction back to Dec 5, a full 10 days after my due date. On Dec 3, I went in for another NST. I was planning on trying to push back the induction again if all looked good. At this NST, however, there were a couple, quick, decelerations of her heart beat. The amniotic fluid also seemed a little low. Neither of these were in the dangerous range, but the dr would not budge on my induction either.

On Dec 4, I was admitted to L&D at 7:30 pm. I was given a hep lock, and they used it to draw some blood, but I won’t actually be hooked up to anything tonight. Once I got all set up in my room, the doctor came in, and a checked me out. 1cm, 0% effaced, and -3 station. Not a great start. Around 9 pm, they put in Cervidil to help ripen my cervix. By 9:30, I was feeling what may have been an increase in Braxton Hicks, or may have been SUPER mild contractions. I watched some TV, and tried to go to sleep around 11:30.

One thing that was disconcerting was that while I was waiting for the doctor to come in, there was a woman down the hall screaming bloody murder! They had her door closed, my door closed, and I had the TV on, and I still could not drown her out. Talk about scary! I just kept telling myself that some people are screamers, and it’s probable she didn’t really prepare herself.

12:30 am – my mind was still racing, so I called for a sleeping pill. Even then, sleep was on-and-off throughout the night. We had a couple more screamers on our floor. Not fun.

On Dec 5, the nurse came in at 6:30 for wake up call. I was able to get up, brush my teeth and take a shower. At 7, they removed the Cervidil and hooked me up to the monitor again. I was 1 cm , 50% effaced, -2 station.

7:30 am – they started the pitocin. I asked my dr if we could do a few hours of pitocin alone before we broke my water, and she said that would be fine. By 8 am I was having mild, but semi-regular contractions every 2-4 min.

11 am – contractions are moderate intensity, but lasting 5 min with a 1 min break! This is comparable to active labor (if I had gone naturally), but even in active labor, contractions are 1 min long, and 5 min apart! I asked to be checked. If by some magic I was 7 or 8 cm, then I would have pushed ahead. I was 1.5 cm, 80% effaced, and -1 station. I asked for the epidural!

J was amazing. He stood by my bed, calmed me down and helped me breathe, rubbed my forehead and/or shoulders. He was my rock. If all had gone according to plan, I’m sure he would have been able to get me through the end. Unfortunately, although the pain was still bearable (7/8 on a scale of 1-10, mainly because of the lack of rest between contractions), I knew there was NO way I could handle 1) having my water broken, and contractions getting much more intense or 2) 10 more hours of that. Like I said, if by some miracle we were near the end, I would have done it. But the fact that we weren’t even in active labor yet, nope! Sorry!!

12 noon – the anesthesiologist came in. I’ve never been so happy to get poked with a bunch of needles!!! I could still feel pressure of the contractions , but the pain was gone.

1:30 pm – the doctor came in and broke my water. In just the last hour with the epidural, I’ve gone to 2.5 cm and 100% effaced! She said there is some meconium in the water, but not much, and that’s to be expected this far past your due date. The pressure from the contractions picked up instantly! I’m so glad I decided on getting the epi. I’m amazed how much pressure I can still feel.

4 pm – the doctor just came back to check me. We are at 8 cm! This epi/pitocin thing is getting the job done!

5:30 pm – one last check. Baby’s head was +2 station! She was ready to be born!

I pushed for 50 min, and at 6:20pm, L came out pink and crying! She was 22″ long and 7lbs 8oz.

We had a NICU unit of nurses to watch over her because of the meconium, but that wasn’t an issue at all. She was breathing and screaming just fine.

My dr got me all cleaned up, I had a 2nd degree tear from her huge 14.25″ head, but really that’s not so bad!

The they brought her over to me, we did skin-to-skin time, and then she latched on to feed. She is an amazing little feeder.

J now has her sleeping in his arms, and all I want to do is stare at them! We are both SO in love with our little girl!






About casadezhang

J and I got married in August 2010, and purchased our first house in May 2012. I decided to start a blog so I can ramble on about all the thing I find interesting. How is this different than any other home/life blog? It's probably not - but I just like to talk :). I'm not the best at updating my blogs, but I'll try to update at least once a week, or whenever anything interesting happens :).
This entry was posted in pregnancy. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s